Sunday, December 23, 2012

Interview with Betsy and Katie Flood


(Originally published June 27, 2011)

There's lots of negative talk about floods in Iowa this year so it's time for some Iowa Floods to get some good publicity...
Very few high school runners become NCAA Division 1 athletes.  Few of those D1 runners qualify for Nationals.  Yet two former West Des Moines Dowling Catholic runners did just that this year and were able to compete in their hometown, at Drake Stadium.  And they just happen to be sisters.  Betsy, a senior-to-be at the University of Iowa majoring in International Studies, qualified in the 5k and finished 15th overall in 16:08.63.  Katie will be a sophomore this fall competing for the Washington Huskies and ran a 4:25.75 in the 1500m semifinals and failed to make the final.  Katie is one of the most outstanding high school runners to come out of the state and won just about everything in Iowa as a high school athlete.  As a senior in high school she won Nike Cross Nationals and placed 8th in Foot Locker Nationals a week later.  She was the #1 runner for the Huskies last fall in cross country at the end of the season and represented the U.S. this year at the World Cross Country Championships in Spain where she was the 2nd American and placed 19th overall.
Betsy's PRs: 1500-4.17.75, mile-4:42.70, 3k-9:22.63, 5k-16.04, 10k- 35.04
Katie's PRs: 1500-4:18.80, mile-4:47.45, 3k-9:09.85
What got you two into running?  Have you two always been runners or did you compete in other sports in junior high and high school?
Katie:  I actually starting running before Betsy did. I did summer track all through grade school and junior high. Both of us played all the sports, but when it came down to it running was what we enjoyed most.
Betsy:  I began running after Katie.  We played most every sport, but our (or at least my) coordination and natural athleticism were not so great, so it was nice to have a sport where you could improve without having certain skills.

One of you chose to stay in Iowa and the other went halfway across the country. How did you end up choosing to run at Iowa and Washington?
K:  I chose Washington because I was really drawn in by their program. I wanted to do something different, and I love my coaches and teammates.
B:  I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to college running.  I chose Iowa so that whether I decided to run or not it would not matter or be as much pressure.  I have been blessed with a really special coach and team and think it was part of God's purpose for me to be at Iowa.  And I think Washington is a great fit for Katie!

What was it like knowing that your sister also qualified for Nationals in Des Moines?
K:  It was so cool to be able to cheer for Betsy at the meet, and to watch all her hard work in action. It was great for both of us to be able to compete in our hometown, and we are hoping for the same privilege next year.
B:  It was awesome knowing I would get to see and spend time with Katie! With her being halfway across the country, it is always such an exciting opportunity to go to meets where I know I will see her, and it was definitely extra special that we got to compete at the same meet in our hometown! I know we were both pretty disappointed with our races, but excited that the same meet will be back there next year!

Are you two competitive with each other?
K:  We were definitely very competitive in high school. Since the level of competition is so much higher in college, I don't think we are as directly competitive because it really isn't head to head competition.
B:  Being that competition is the nature of the sport of running I would say yes.  If we get in any race we are going to compete with all other people on the line.  However, I would not say I want to beat Katie more than any other runner.  I would actually rather she beat me than any other person! I think being able to have friendly competition between us has allowed us to push each other and work hard in the past!

Do you have a favorite running experience, one that you cherish?
K:  Running at the Drake Relays is always a memorable experience. It has definitely been my favorite high school memory. World Cross is something I will never forget.
B:  I think my most cherished races have just been the ones where I have been able to do things that I know I could not have done on my own.  The finish of a cross country race that felt like death, winning a race you have worked hard for, or just relying totally on God's strength when human might does not suffice.  I cannot, however, think of one particular moment that I cherish.


What’s your favorite workout?  Your favorite race distance?  Favorite race?

K:  I love racing the 1500, but I'm excited to try out the 5k as well. As for workouts, I really enjoy tempo runs and mile repeats.
B:  Hm. Hard to tell! I really enjoy long runs though and being in nature! I appreciate cross country a lot for the team aspect and the chance to run on the earth, but track can be a lot of fun once you start to feel speedy and bouncy on the track.  I don't think I could pick a favorite race either! I really love the 1500.  It is definitely the most exciting race for me to watch or compete in on the track.  However, I have really begun to have a love for the 5k as well.  I like that the pack gradually sheds each lap and then only a few remain, it's like a sustained nervous excitement, but also gives you some time to relax.   Every race has different opportunities and benefits to offer!


What do you see yourself doing post-collegiately?  Will running continue to be a big part of your life?  Do you see yourself coming back to (or remaining in) Iowa?
K:  I'm unsure of what I will do after college because a lot of it depends on what happens in the next 3 or 4 years. I do know that I will always run.
B:  I have no idea! I would love to continue running if that opportunity is presented to me, but if not I trust that God has a great plan for my life.  I am excited to try out living in other places since I have been in Iowa for so long.  You would think I would know more since I will be done in a year, but I really do not! I think this year will be very telling for me regarding running and just life in general.

What are your running goals?

K:  My main running goal has always been consistent improvement and learning.
B:  I, as any runner, desire to really improve my times and performances in all distances.  This year especially I really just wanna have fun with running.  It is possibly my last year and I want to do everything I can do, but also be content with performances knowing that I have done my best.

What runners do you especially look up to?  Who have been your greatest mentors/role models?
K: I always have looked up to my sister because of her work ethic and her overall approach to running. Another good role model for me is Katie Follett who recently went pro after graduating from UW. Looking at how Katie transformed through her college years into pro runner is really something spectacular.
B: I look up to my sister, Katie. I have been coached by the most wonderful people.  Cortez Nichols [coach, Central Iowa Excaliburs Track Club] coached us when we were younger and really defined the meaning of hard work in a way I have not known since.  In high school Father Kirby helped me to find a deeper meaning and purpose in running, and now in college Coach Anderson has just been so great and almost a father figure to our entire team!

There seems to have been a resurgence in American distance running recently. What do you attribute that to?

K:  I think improved training methods play into that. It seems that there is somewhat of a snowball effect. When one runner is able to get their foot in the door and compete with the best, others open their minds to the possibility.
B:  I think people like the challenge.  Distance running can be competitive at all levels and age groups.  It is exciting to get out there and know you can train to run faster than you did the last time.  Distance running also has a lot of life lessons to offer and is a great way to be healthy and find community!
Looking back on your high school experience – what advice would you give HS or collegiate runners hoping to have the sort of success you have had?  What would you tell them about choosing a college?
K:  One thing that I have learned over the past year is the importance of living a runners lifestyle. A large amount of improvement can be made by listening to your body and treating it in the best way possible. When choosing a college, I would say it's important to choose a school that not only appeals to you because of athletics. Choose a school where you can see yourself even without athletics.
B: Well I guess I did not even meet the team before I came to college, so I just got really lucky! But I would say be sure the teammates you are surrounded with are good people.  I think training in a healthy positive environment can really be helpful.  I believe that any training program can help you excel as long as you are committed to it and believe what you are doing is going to lead you to success.   I don't think there is any magic formula to running but I do believe anyone can be a successful runner.  Hard work is crucial, but making a god out of a sport is miserable, so be sure to love what you are doing!
How much attention do you pay to what other runners elsewhere across the country are doing via websites like FloTrack or LetsRun.com?
K:  I have started to pay more attention to Flotrack since I began using it to log my miles. I don't follow individual runners that closely though.
B: I try to not pay any attention to what other runners are doing (which is probably what you do not want to hear since you are starting a running website!) But I think everyone is just a person and they all have their own lives, and when you get really caught up in all the running times and stuff you make them out to be gods or only competitors when all the people I have run against have mostly become great friends! Also when I get too obsessed with running I become really selfish and single minded.  The websites are fun to sometimes get to watch your own races though or get to see interviews for people (like my sister ) who you don't get to see as often!
What are your interests outside of running?
K:  Spending time with friends, biking, going to concerts, and trying new things.
Betsy's homemade "Pretzel Cashew Beer Carmels"
B:  My interests out side of running are large! My faith is really important to me so I really enjoy loving people and spending time with others! I like making homemade things a lot instead of buying them.  For example, homemade cliff bars or laundry detergent. I like having tea parties and finding new music and riding my bike and praying and baking and I really love being outdoors!  I guess I pretty much like doing everything- if only there were enough time!

Thank you to Katie and Betsy for sharing and good luck in the fall!  (Betsy says she is "more excited for cross country than I have ever been before" so keep an eye on the Hawks this fall!)

No comments:

Post a Comment